World-Herald Week in Pictures: Jan. 23-29, 2012

An Omaha man dies in a house fire, Dundee’s Grandpa’s C Mart prepares to close and the Henry Doorly Zoo’s aquarium gets a $6.5 million the World-Herald Week in Pictures: Jan. 23-29, 2012.

Billy Joe Swiney walks through the house of his uncle R.C. Swiney, 78, who died in a fire at at the home early on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012. The house at 3915 N. 18th St. had no working smoke detector. CHRIS MACHIAN/THE WORLD-HERALD


See last week’s pictures: World-Herald Week in Pictures: Jan. 16-22, 2012.

Chris Machian

About Chris Machian

I was born in Omaha, graduated from the University of Nebraska at Omaha with a journalism degree in 2004 and have spent most of my life here. I was a photo intern with the Omaha World-Herald in 2003 and had various roles with the company before becoming a staff photographer. I love to shoot UNO hockey and last year placed video and still cameras inside the goal to provide our readers with another unique perspective. My goal is to use available technology in ways that help our readers understand the stories we cover. For instance, in 2011 I used Gigapan technology to provide a wide view of flooded areas while allowing users to zoom in on the smaller details. My love of this job extends beyond disasters and sporting events; I also enjoy covering the events that help define Omaha's cultural landscape.
This entry was posted in Viewfinder, Viewfinder - carousel, Viewfinder - Featured and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.


  1. Timothy Dettmer says:

    A smoke detector is a device that detects smoke, typically as an indicator of fire. Commercial, industrial, and mass residential devices issue a signal to a fire alarm system, while household detectors, known as smoke alarms, generally issue a local audible or visual alarm from the detector itself.’

    Pay a visit to our web portal too